Value Stream Management for Lean Healthcare
Value Stream Management (VSM) is a proven and effective step-by-step methodology for understanding and applying the principles and practices of the Toyota Production System (i.e., Lean) within a healthcare organization. As authors, we have found continued success in applying the Value Stream Management methodology in the hospitals, clinics, and labs. You will be introduced to many of these successes throughout the book as topical anecdotes. The specific tools and practices of Lean and the implementation plan via the Value Stream Management process will be thoroughly explained.
In this book you will learn how to:
- Apply the Value Stream Management methodology to specific projects within your facility
- Educate staff on the fundamentals of Lean so that Lean can be part of everyone s job each and every day
- Create a business case to inform the staff on the need for Lean or continuous improvement
- Determine where waste lies in processes and facilitate ideas on how to eliminate waste through Total Employee Involvement (TEI)
- Create current and future state maps, as well as a plan for implementation
- Accelerate improvements activities
- Select projects and apply the Lean tools
- Improve patient (direct), as well as non-patient (non-direct), care processes
- Document improvement activities to convey to management the success Lean can have on improving the bottom-line
- Allow Lean to become a way of life in an ever-changing and demanding environment.
Value Stream Management for Lean Healthcare (2nd Edition) will provide you with the fundamental process (and steps) to implement Lean. This book has been segmented into the four main chapters of Assess, Diagnosis, Treat, and Prevent. These chapters will provide the skeletal framework on how the Lean tools and practices can be effectively applied in your Lean journey. Just as patients care requires a thorough history and physical exam to assist in determining a plan of cure for a patient; likewise, this book will provide a similar approach for the treatment and cure of your facilities process ailments.
Perfect Bound, Paperback – 8.5″ 11.0″ – 306 pages – Numerous Checklists, Worksheet, Sample Forms – Main ED Case Study – 12 Additional Case Studies Throughout – OR and Physician’s Group Case Studies – Glossary – Index
|Dimensions||8.5 x 11 x .5 in|